Wednesday, October 21, 2009

just me

here's an ironic thing that happened yesterday. i was out for a run, just thinking about music and such and I made a decision (the same decision I made after 'Miles) which was to not release another record until I had songs that had meaning, songs that meant something to, at the very least, me. After 'Miles', I was tired of love songs and fluffy lyrics. And I think I achieved some higher lyrics with "Party" and last night I made it my goal to not release another record, unless the weight of the songs were heavier then what they were on "Party". Anyway, I like to set a bar like this, it helps me grow as a writer.

So here's where it turns ironic. When I made this pact with myself, I was basically intending to not get back in the writing saddle till like next summer or fall... and then I stopped off in the studio on the way to bed and accidentally wrote a pretty cool tune. It's a song about how in the pursuit of holiness the only thing standing in our way is ourselves.

Here's a lyric from the chorus;

I am lost and not to be found
an ocean who has learned how to drown
i am going straight to hell
an anchor who's tied to himself


Anyway, i like it.


So that's it for that.
In about 10mins I am logging on to buy tickets to see Wilco in February, here in my hometown. Very excited.


Currently listening to "Kings of Convenience - Declaration of Dependence"

1 comment:

  1. 2 weeks ago I have seen the Kings of Convenience in Berlin. A really great and impressive concert.A very powerful sound, in spite of few instruments..gooseflesh..

    ReplyDelete