Wednesday, July 01, 2009

the ladies at the ghost party

i wanted to introduce you to the guitars used in the making of this project, "ghost party"

now first you need to know that i don't put much care or love into my guitars. they are what they are and I don't go out of my way to collect sweet guitars and pay top dollar. I am more interested in having a lot of guitars that aren't worth much so I can afford to have a lot. However, each guitar has been perfectly fitted to me to provide a recording with a specific sound.

here we go...

this first first puppy is not mine. my buddy cam left it here one day when we were pretending to be in a punk band. anyway, i never cared much for this guitar until one day i played it. it ended up providing the warmest sounds i've ever got in my studio. it was used in the end for the riffs on "heavy", "to be loved" and i think, "pocket of grace"... great sounding beauty!

this is an old harmony arch top that i've had for ages and my grandpa fixed up real nice after it got tossed around in college. it's not a very loud guitar so it doesnt get used often. I'm actually not sure where it was used on this record, if at all... but I think maybe one of the riffs in "snowstorm"and maybe "pocket of grace" strumming...
this is a cheapo tele-knock off that is great to have around... it has a real dirty electric sound. it was prominently used for all the electric stuff on, "listen to my heart" and the punk bridge solo on "in between". i think it's also found on "caught in my dreams" too...
this has got to be my first real guitar. it's very old, been everywhere, but still sounds great. canadian made seagull, but I don't think they spell it that way, they are french.... this guitar is always used cause it's fun to play. I even drop the tunning and do slide guitar on it on the previous record. but on this record it was one of the riffs in "snowstorm" as well as that crunchy acoustic sound in "heavy".
one of my favorites. an old epiphone emperor. a beautiful guitar that sounds amazing any way you use it. it was littered all over this record and the last record. electric finger picking parts in, "in between", "ghosts", "snowstorm", "caught", "Shine", "to be loved", "somehow" and others all feature this beauty. i will never get rid of this guitar... i got it soon after I made Lonesometown and it really changed my sound whenever I realized an acoustic solo songwriter can subtly add electric to his/her sound! and lost some fans along the way.... : ( ??
the main man. my only guitar initially bought for over $1000. a beauty simon & patrick artist series, custom passive pickup... sounds great. it is all the acoustic parts on pretty much every song. except for any parts played by the guitar below... and it's my live guitar... whenever i decide to play live... never...
after i heard a record from Darren Smith, I fell in love with the idea of a ukelele sounding acoustic... it has a real close up sound. it plays any acoustic solos (like on, "shine the light" or "somehow") and then i can't really remember where else it is played on this record... but i really love this guitar, i write a lot of tunes on it. it's really small...


that's the guitars...

i'm going to do this again soon with some peripheral instruments in the studio, including the piano, bass, banjo and drums... ooooo... hold your breaths

No comments:

Post a Comment