Friday, December 19, 2008

BEST ALBUMS OF 2008

Here is my list, 4th year in a row. Not a bad year for music. Some instant classics on this list.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

xo. - Scott



1. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
This album was a huge surprise for me this year. I heard it back when it leaked in March and as soon as I heard the opening song, "evil urges", I knew it was a special album. This album held on throughout the year to easily take top spot. Standout tracks are, "Evil Urges" "I'm Amazed" and "Smookin' from Shootin"

2. Jill Barber - Chances
I didn't even know she was coming out with an album this year. Not only was it nice to be surprised by a new record - but even better was the suprise that this was one of the most classy pop vocal album in a decade! The instrumentation and production is stunning, Jill's voice is stunning, Jill is stunning! This is a 10/10 album by a great Canadian artist who deserves higher praise.

3. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Worth the hype. Solid album from start to finish. Nice way to start off the year. I would love for them to release follow up sooner then later.

4. Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things
Very simple production. This album was a grower for me. But the artist and producer created a dynamite album. Very consistant. "Something Good This Way Comes" is a great song.

5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Also worth the hype. White winter hymnal is a stellar song. The whole album flows nicely and there is not a pretentious moment at all throughout the whole record.

6. Nada Surf - Lucky
This album is almost perfect and it has nothing to do with nostalgia. The melodies on the first song, "See these bones" told me this was an album I was going to enjoy for the better part of the year. I wasn't anticipating this album at all, but as soon as I heard it - I was anticipating hearing it again. "Whose Authority" and "See These Bones" make me want to hear this record again.

7. Ray Lamontagne - Gossip in the Grain
I've always loved Ray's work from all the way back to 2004's Trouble. This album is not a departure yet not too similar to previous work. Just a consistent satisfing record. Ray's lyrics and voice and Ethan John's production is the reason I always will buy Ray's records. "Sarah" and "You are the Best Thing" are dynamite tracks.

8. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
This is the first time a standard rock album has made it on my list. I don't know who these guys are and I don't care. But I can't deny that they made a stellar rock album from start to finish. A great record! "Use Somebody" is a great track.

9. Duffy - Rockferry
Beautifully produced and soft melodies. A great record, short, concise and to the point songs. Standout tracks are; "Stepping Stone" and "Warwick Avenue"

10. Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak
I still don't know why I like this album. But I do. And I'm still listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment