Monday, January 21, 2008

Why for free?

I am still giving 'Miles' away for free over at www.scottorrmusic.com/freemiles.

I have been asked repeatedly about this campaign and about the 2006 campaign with "Lonesometown" (my business sense was questioned more in 2006 than in 2007 with 'Miles' largely in part to Radiohead making the "free album" concept more mainstream)

Anyway, I heard this great quote yesterday,

"the greatest challenge facing artists today is not piracy, it is obscurity."

This was a huge point that really drives home what I am doing by giving away my music on a digital front. There are too many artists on the web trying to pawn off their recordings. It is not a question of whether a music lover will like my music or another artists music, it is a question of, how will i be found?

The campaign has brought over 2 thousand people to the website to check out this artist whom may never had before.

Obscurity. This is a roadblock that trumps quality, ability, style, originality. The web is so vast and in the case of this non-touring artists - the only venue for marketing. Artists are continually trying to rise above the fray.

1 comment:

  1. Great point, Scott. As usual, you've got it down to a science.

    You're still the best!
    Jason

    ReplyDelete